Thursday, March 26, 2009

How do you hold a long note on a Saxophone?

I%26#039;m currently playing the Tenor Sax and I was wondering how I may be able to hold a really long note on my sax.





I know that there%26#039;s suppose to be some breathing thing to it but I sorta need details.





I%26#039;s just like to know how I can do it.
How do you hold a long note on a Saxophone?
Practice breathing exercises to strengthen your lungs and diaphragm- that will increase your ability over time.


To start, use your stomach muscles/diaphragm rather than your throat to support the air. Don%26#039;t tighten up your mouth too much because that will cut off the air, although if you%26#039;re too loose, then it will sound bad and airy. Take deep breaths and blow them out slowly without puffing out your cheecks.


It takes practice to get the right feel and develop the muscle memory.


Try playing scales and holding out each note for 20 seconds (or however long you%26#039;re ready for) and increase over time. That will improve your tone as well. Hope this helps. :)
How do you hold a long note on a Saxophone?
take a long BIG! breath BLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
Reply:Pick a note that is fairly comfortable to play and hold it out as long as you possibly can. Take a breath and do it again. Keep this up for at least half an hour every day. You won%26#039;t see immediate results, because this is a skill that takes time. Just keep at it.





There is a technique for playing %26quot;never-ending%26quot; notes called circular breathing. Using this technique, you breathe in through your nose to get more air while you%26#039;re playing. This is a very advanced technique, but unless you%26#039;re playing professionally (and possibly even if you are) I doubt it would ever be necessary. If you really want to learn, though, I would suggest trying to find a clinic; this isn%26#039;t really the kind of thing you can learn from online instructions.





I would suggest that you stick to the old-fashioned method: practice, practice, practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment