Thursday, March 26, 2009

If i play electric guitar would i be able to teach myself how to play bass?

i have played a electric guitar for about 5 or 6 months now and i get lessons i am thinking about saving up to get a 4 string bass guitar and i want to know if it would be easy to teach myself because i don%26#039;t want to get lessons for a bass guitar and a electric and i want to teach myself how to play bass i know all of the chords and stuff like that also so do you think it would be easy to teach myself what are some of the best ways to teach myself like websites and stuff like that thank you
If i play electric guitar would i be able to teach myself how to play bass?
Guitar and bass are pretty much the same instrument. Same notes in the same places short of 2 strings. The main difference in terms of playing I think is the feel (longer neck, thicker strings). And developing your %26#039;pick%26#039; hand playing may require a different approach than guitar.





You probably won%26#039;t be using a lot of %26#039;chords%26#039; for much or all of the time, though I%26#039;ve always enjoyed playing them a lot myself. Takes more of a %26#039;reach%26#039; than guitar obviously, and my hands strain when I use them heavily, especially at the lower end.





Many guitarists can play bass with no problem at all. I wish it worked the same for me the other way around, but guitar strings are way smaller than I%26#039;m used to. It%26#039;s pretty much all power chords for me on guitar.
If i play electric guitar would i be able to teach myself how to play bass?
It shouldn%26#039;t be too hard, it depends what style of music you are learning, I swear everyone that teaches themselves slap bass ends up with a floppy thumb (kind of like Flea, it%26#039;s fine if you%26#039;re covering chili%26#039;s songs but have fun trying to double-thump like that)
Reply:Well, at least you have the fingering so that won%26#039;t be an issue. The difference is that you won%26#039;t have to worry about chording on a bass. You need good riff and be tight with the drummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment