Thursday, March 26, 2009

Low D "jumping" on tenor sax?

I%26#039;ve played Bari sax for four years and I%26#039;m being made to play tenor for marching band this year. I just got a Selmer TS500, and when I play low notes (specifically D and E) sometimes it will %26quot;jump%26quot; like it will sound as if I%26#039;m playing with another tenor and I%26#039;m horribly out of tune. Sometimes it will make constant waves, sometimes it will just do it a couple times, and sometimes it will make a solid tone. Tonguing seems to make it do it sometimes. The instrument is brand new, I%26#039;ve checked for leaks and cant find any. I can play Alto and Bari fine so I dont THINK it%26#039;s my embouchure but I could be wrong. Anyone ever had this before or have any idea whats wrong?
Low D %26quot;jumping%26quot; on tenor sax?
i%26#039;m not going to even pretend to know what i%26#039;m talking about but i have something of an idea. its the same way with me on french horn i just started playing it last year for band just like you. i%26#039;m a natural trumpet player but i got switched. what i found is that one one instrument the amount of air that use to work might not on another instrument. it takes so much more air on french horn that you wouldn%26#039;t believe. you have to mostly practice on finding that note thats in tune in your lower register and think about what you%26#039;re doing to hit it and keep it there and practice on what you did. that often works. mostly you have to keep the flow of air strong and steady so that you get a good controlled sound. on sax-any sax- its all about controll baby. there%26#039;s also the deal with you know...the instrument might be wrong ha ha. some times new things are broken
Low D %26quot;jumping%26quot; on tenor sax?
2 things;





1. air speed (control %26amp; support)


2. have a technician check it for leaks, most new saxes do not come perfectly adjusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment